Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Immunizations

Caitlin got her first set of needles this afternoon and it went pretty well considering.

She was in such a lovely, happy mood when we left the house and I felt just awful knowing what was coming... but I tried my hardest not to be worried for her. She was weighed and measured first; she's now 11 lbs, 11 oz which is in the 75th percentile for weight and 59.75 cm or the 90th percentile for height. This confirmed that aside from having ginormous feet and strong muscles, her tall lean body will make for a perfect olympic swimmer just as Mike and I suspected!

Then came the not-so-fun part. I held her into position (knees straight so she could get one in each thigh) but I suddenly felt like a lioness watching a predator circle her young. Now I know we were there for good reason, but I guess that feeling spawned from the fact our doctor looked like a mad-scientist as she spun around in her white coat with needles pointing in the air and an absent smile.

But after a few heart wrenching cries and tiny white knuckles gripping mommy's fingers, we settled down pretty quickly and left the office with miniature bandaids only to return in 2 months for more.

I'm just not sure who it was more tortuous for...

Here's my little sweetie lazing around this morning:

And here she is post-immunizations, after a nice warm lavender bath and a squeeze of white-grape flavoured Infant Tylenol.

Hopefully we'll all have a good night sleep tonight.

No comments: