Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Early Literacy

I went to an Early Years workshop yesterday that focussed on early literacy in babies. I didn't really go with any questions, but I did take a lot out of it.

OK - funny thing before I get into my story. Caitlin's been putting her feet in her mouth every chance she gets, and she also throws up quite a bit. Long story short, she threw up some formula while we were at the Early Years Centre and there was toe jam in it. TOE JAM! So disgusting! I didn't get a picture of her spit up dotted with blue fluffies...

Anyway, back to early literacy. I sing to her all day long, and I always tell her what I am doing... maybe that's why she's become so nosey (and is so aware of what people are doing), but these are things that are really important in developing vocabulary. So given that I don't read to her as much as I should, the rest of my actions more than make up for it. So more reading is on the menu... and no watching TV - even in the background as we're feeding as I don't want her to have a short attention span later when she's older.

On another topic, I KNOW I didn't put her in her crib like this last night, but this is how I found her this morning.

Caitlin, the contortionist.

No comments: