Sunday, July 18, 2010

Driving Home

Williston is right next to Lake Champlain; our original plan was to drive the scenic islands up through the lake which we did:

But just after starting out, we decided to take the ferry across in hopes of seeing Champ (the equivalent of Loch Ness but without the Scottish accent)... that, and we figured it might be faster because it's been a long trip home.

The New York/Vermont border runs right through the lake, so we figured we crossed it as we passed another ferry heading the other way:

I think our GPS thought we were a bunch of idiots.

Caitlin liked the short ferry ride; we didn't get out because it was only a 12 minute crossing, so we played with a new toy instead - it's a cow that sings Old McDonald, and she picked it out herself. In fact, she brought it to me when I was standing at the cash paying for her clothes, so I caved and bought it too.

We quickly discovered that when she wants the cow to sing the song, she'll say E-I-E-I-E-I until it starts. Smart cookie!

She also learned a new face while on vacation. Probably because this is the face I made at her when she started throwing food while in restaurants... and it was damn hard not to laugh at it :)

Although the mountains turned to plains on the New York side of Lake Champlain, it was neat to see all the fields scattered with wind turbines.

We crossed at Cornwall; a pretty uneventful border crossing, and took the 401 all the way home. Talk about a boring drive across southern Ontario; our major highway really can't compare to the picturesque highways in the states... but it was nice to see Tim Hortons again!

And with that, we're home safe and sound. But were sure miss the Cape already :)

No comments: