Thursday, June 04, 2009

It Won't Be Like This For Long

I posted a music player to my blog yesterday because Mike and I heard a song on the radio that had us both welling up with tears, and I had to share it. It's by Darius Rucker, or Hootie from Hootie & the Blowfish - I posted the lyrics below.

I'm sure my parents feel the same way about me growing up too fast, especially now that I have my own little girl. And when I look at our pictures from the hospital from one month ago, she's already grown so much. How fast time will fly for us too :)


He didn't have to wake up
He'd been up all night
Layin’ there in bed listenin’
To his new born baby cry
He makes a pot of coffee
He splashes water on his face
His wife gives him a kiss and says
It gonna be OK

It won’t be like this for long
One day soon we'll look back laughin’
At the week we brought her home
This phase is gonna fly by
So baby just hold on
‘Cause it won't be like this for long

Four years later ‘bout 4:30
She's crawling in their bed
And when he drops her off at preschool
She's clinging to his leg
The teacher peels her off of him
He says what can I do
She says now don't you worry
This’ll only last a week or two

It won’t be like this for long
One day soon you'll drop her off
And she won’t even know you're gone
This phase is gonna fly by
If you can just hold on
It won’t be like this for long

Some day soon she'll be a teenager
And at times he'll think she hates him
Then he'll walk her down the aisle
And he'll raise her veil
But right now she's up and cryin’
And the truth is that he don't mind
As he kisses her good night
And she says her prayers

He lays down there beside her
‘Til her eyes are finally closed
And just watchin’ her it breaks his heart
Cause he already knows

It won’t be like this for long
One day soon that little girl is gonna be
All grown up and gone
Yeah, this phase is gonna fly by
So, he's tryin’ to hold on

‘Cause it won’t be like this for long
It won’t be like this for long



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sniff*
Now I'm all teary eyed.

What a beautiful song. Perfectly fitting for your life right now.

aunty Janina

Sarah and Mike said...

I know eh? We both welled up when we heard it!

Dana said...

very sweet and sooooooooo true!