Friday, August 14, 2009

Patience

One thing motherhood has taught me is patience. I thought I was pretty patient before Caitlin came along, but I definitely require much more of it now.

Because I am trying to put her down when she's sleepy but still semi-conscious (in effort to teach her how to fall asleep on her own), it requires a bit of back and forth on my part. I rock her to a sleepy state and put her to bed so she can self-settle, but she gets easily frustrated so I have to return 5 minutes later to repeat the process. This can go on for a half hour, with sometimes up to 8 trips back to her room. And funny enough, it doesn't bother me. I used to get slightly annoyed because I just wanted her to go down immediately so I could have a rest myself, but I've come to realize that she's learning and needs my help.

Speaking of learning... I caught her holding up her foot yesterday afternoon and looking at it like she just discovered it. It was too cute! I'm sure she'll be playing with her toes in no time. When she sits at the dinner table in her high chair pulled up beside one of us, she thinks it's absolutely hilarious to kick us while we eat.

And Mike and I can confirm that yes, she does have separation anxiety when I leave, it's not just coincidence. I went for dinner with friends last night and she had another meltdown about 15 minutes after I left. Mike tried his hardest to calm her, but had to call me home. And what did she do when I walked in the door? Smile and coo...

No comments: