Friday, March 16, 2012

Third Time's a Charm

I'm absolutely, positively, emotionally and physically drained after this past week. And there's no end in sight. Mike still has a fever. Caitlin still has a fever. Adam has had one too, but he also has a runny nose so I think his is teeth-related (unlike the other two who don't seem to have symptoms). I'm barely sleeping at night; I'm watching and listening to both monitors, and refreshing cold cloths, water, Advil/Tylenol for Mike.

But most importantly, Caitlin woke up this morning with a wet diaper. Thank God. She's having fluids now, and popsicles seem to be sitting okay.

I kept the kids at bay this morning while Mike did another follow-up appointment with his family doctor. With still no change and his fever averaging 102 even with Tylenol/Advil, his doctor gave him a prescription (finally!!!) but suggested he wait yet another 48 hours before he fills it in case it is indeed viral and fever resolves on it's own. Everything seems to be 48 hours, 48 hours, 48 hours...

While daddy was at the doctor's Adam enjoyed rolling under his jolly jumper with his tools, ready to give it a tune-up :)

However, this afternoon, Caitlin's fever spiked to 103.5. She already had Advil in her system, and right after I gave her Tylenol, she threw up (I'm assuming the high fever is causing her to have a weak stomach - notice it only in conjunction). Of course, Telehealth's number is ingrained in my mommy brain, and I was advised to take her to a physician as I had already exhausted the two medications I could give her to bring a fever down. My mom was at the house again to help, so with Mike upstairs resting and Adam in good hands, back to the hospital we went; admitted just before dinner and were sent to the 'yellow' side of the ER.

Waiting, waiting, waiting...

We got a bed, but it was inside a larger room with tons of sick people. Just the place I wanted her to be with her immune system down. But she was calm and comfortable with Bambi and her blanket :)

The doctor today did an overall exam again (and by this time, her fever had come down slightly – some Tylenol had apparently absorbed). He noticed her ear was really red inside so he prescribed a high-dose Amoxil to treat an ear infection, knowing a strep test was previously performed and it may be a possible positive. What the heck?! Why didn't the doctor last night see an ear infection?!

I drove immediately to a drug store and filled the script, and topped up on children's chewable Advil and Tylenol. We seem to be filling a lot of expensive, prescription drugs this winter. It's the sickest we've ever been, and I'm sure it's because we have no benefit program!

Anyway, with another and hopefully last hospital visit under our belts, Caitlin went to bed with her first dose of Amoxil. Relief is on the horizon, right?!

No comments: